Pages

Tuesday 15 July 2014

#319: Tobacco - Ultima II Massage


TOBACCO – Ultima II Massage (Ghostly International)
LP/CD/DL/Cassette 
Out now
9/10
Warped synths, scuzz, ruptured bass – Tobacco succumbs to his pop urges with Ultima II Massage and kicks downs electro doors in the process. 
“This might be my most purposely difficult album yet, but I promise if you let it in, it can fuck you up” claims Pennsylvanian beat-monger Tobacco. But after one listen to Ultima II Massage I was, metaphorically, a spent force, ready to reach for my cigarettes and my wallet, pay my $200 and emerge panting from the massage parlours that populate the record’s sleeze-soaked narrative. After several listens however, I found myself drawn in to its spasmodic whimsy and ultimately upifting nature.
This review was originally written for Louder Than War. Click here to read in full.

No comments:

Post a Comment